Sunday, September 23, 2007

On The Dirt Road Walking Towards Me



I've never had a blog before, I always wondered why anyone would want to hear someone else's ramblings on a regular basis. But now that I'm out of the country again and out of regular contact with the people I care about, I can see this will be useful to help us stay in touch and share the adventure as it happens. It's a good thing, so here we go.

The quote is from a book I read days after I came back from teaching in Australia, "Blue like Jazz" by Donald Miller. I didn't know it but apparently the book was all the rage at the time, which I'm glad I didn't know, because I might have not have read it. As it happend I flew into B.C. and read late into the night thanks to the benefits of jet lag. Back home in Canada with a good book, what could be better?

So this next trip starts here, with the right perspective; the thought that these events are part of a path I'm walking along, that there is a reason for things happening the way they do, and that though this part of the story is for me, the story is not about me. These truths both drive and comfort me. And in quiet mornings like this, I wonder at the Figure far down the road walking towards me, and smile knowing that the destination is more a person than a place.

No comments: