Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Back from 12,000 feet


Hi everyone, today I`m back in San Jose today after 3 days climbing Mt. Chirripo in southern Costa Rica. It was an epic trip... and as I hoped I had a great time and found purpose and meaning in the adventure; I had long periods alone with the world and me, times where the all sound would stop and you could feel God`s spirit in the air, there was struggle at keeping warm during the cold nights and awe at the stars and the sunrise during our 3am final ascent to the summit. I am as thankful for the hours alone through much of the initial ascent (10 hours) as I am for the friendships and comraderie I found at the top.

I`m trying to summarize what I`m coming away with.. no large stone tablets this time, no massive command.. but definitely the knowledge that wherever I go, I am not alone. God provided on the trip in a hundred small but crucial ways that saved my butt, and a lot of the time that came through people being brought into the story.

I need my time alone.. God whispers in the clouds, I look back and see things more clearly, plans start forming in my head.. but this trip I kept hearing and feeling the importance of relationship. I say time alone but what I really mean is time with God.. Father Spirit Son.. all three of them. Time just talking and listening and really hearing the still quiet voice telling you you are loved, that you are worthy. Everything else flows from knowing that.

It must have been like that when Jesus walked around on the dirt roads. 3 years in ministry and He put most of his energy into 12 friends. Doesn`t seem like the most efficient way to go about things, but whoever said God wanted to be efficient? On the mountain I read that it must have been thrilling to have Him there, watching him walk past every social barrier and telling people they were worthy and loved. I read that basically, people are wired to hear from things outside themselves that they are valuable, and I find that to be true.

I do just want people to like me. Which is good because there is lots to do and none of it will happen without or mean much without friendships, brothers, sisters, family to build and share it with. But to really find and hear and feel love that lasts, that satisfies, I have to get away, climb a mountain, get lost at sea, maybe next I`ll drive into the desert to leave the other voices behind; listen to the whisper, feel the warmth in the sun, walk with Christ as we kick the dirt of our sandals, laugh, and hear him call me by name and say, follow me.
Happy New Year from Central America everyone,
lots of faith, hope and love to you for the new year.

Mark

1 comment:

Adrienne said...

Mark, thank you for that blog....I need to hear people talk about intimacy with God like that.